May 4, 2012

So neglected...

Ahhh...my poor little neglected blog. You know, it's a good thing I'm transferring to ICU. I've almost run out of crazy things to write about. Oddly, the level of crazy around the hospital has been lower then normal it seems--or my tolerance has just increased. If I had to guess, it would be the latter choice.

Although last week, a couple of nights pretty much kicked my behind. There is an electrolyte that we hang all the time around here for people. It runs over an hour. I had the rooms at the end of the hall. One night last week, I hung 12...that's right 12 bags of this electrolyte. So I pretty much ran up and down the hall every 30 minutes all. night. long. Yay for exercise! We use this acuity tool to measure the level of illness of our patient's. The highest I can have? 15. Those 2 nights? 14.

You know how I used to like the 3:00 hour? We might have to break up. I don't like it anymore. The next night things were going well, but still really busy, and I still had the rooms at the end of the hall. Of course, 3:00 hit and one of my patient's got super sick. Again. However, now instead of running to get help I can totally calmly and coolly handle it. (LOL!) Long story short, I ended up having 2 IV pumps running with 7 different medications (hello, my new life in ICU!) and just ran my little behind off all night. Also, I hung out with this patient for like 6 hours and by the time shift change rolled around they asked if I would take their children if they didn't make it home.

Flattering, but I don't think my apartment is big enough.

Next week I start orientation in the ICU complete with it’s 10-page skills check off list. Stay tuned...