There are many things about academia that I don’t understand (admissions processes for one), but there is one particular thing really bugs me. It has happened often enough that I have documented evidence of a conspiracy. (Well, not so much documented as made up allegations in my head.)
Test schedules.
This is how it goes (in my over-active imagination)...
Time: Beginning of the semester
Location: Undisclosed
Participants: Professor’s for the nursing program
Chair of the division: All right everyone, let’s layout the test schedules so we can cause the students the maximum amount of stress possible.
Professor 1: I know! Let’s have a test after 2 classes and give broad information while being as vague as possible with what to study.
Professor 2: Great idea #1. And just to make it interesting, I’ll plan a test that same week.
Professor 3: Yes! That way these students will know what it felt like when we went to college. I will do my part by having papers due every week. That will keep them on edge.
Professor 4: You guys are awesome. Let’s repeat that pattern for the whole semester. And, let’s make it better. Let’s give comprehensive finals in 3 of the 4 classes. That’ll show ‘em.
Division Chair: You guys are the best professors ever! This will separate the weak from the strong.
All: Mwahahahahaha (evil laughter trailing off...)
And that, my friends, is the vast conspiracy to cause college students the maximum amount of stress possible.