September 9, 2011

The 12-steps: An update

As many of you know, after about 10 years in politics, I went into political recovery 2 years and 3 months ago. This resulted in me enrolling in nursing school and has now led to my life as a registered nurse. (I’m not going to lie, it’s a life I love.) 

Since all good recovery programs have steps, and it’s been a while since I’ve updated mine, I thought it was time to check in again with my recovery process. (Also, in case anyone is keeping track 2012 is a presidential election year. It’s kind of like having your biggest temptation within arms reach 24/7 for a year. Good thing I’m checking in on my recovery.) My comments are in bold below.

1. Admit you are a politico

Done

2. Quit

Nursing school was a pretty good indication of that.

3. Remove all political paraphernalia from on/in your car. i.e. bumper stickers and yard signs that are 2 elections old.

Done—2 years and 4 months ago, and it’s stayed politically clean. My car is a mess right now, but it is free of political paraphernalia.

4. Find a sponsor who understands and will quit too. Don’t be afraid to call said sponsor when the urge to engage in meaningful political activity comes upon you. Someday, you will return to being a civically minded citizen. Today is not that day.

Done, done, done. Used to have to call about once a day when I felt the sucking, black vortex of politics wooing me, but I made it. Now I just call when I’m hungry and want someone to eat Mexican food with me.

5. Don’t show up for any political events. Ever. No parades, no literature drops, no debates, no informative meetings, no fundraisers, no organizational meetings.

2 years, 4 months and counting.

6. Stop reading 17 news blogs a day.

Down to 1 plus Twitter. I did limit the number of politicos I could follow to 50 or less—1/4 of the total people I follow. Seems reasonable. I also decided that since it’s a Presidential election year, I’m going to follow all the candidates I think are curious. (You can check out my Twitter followees here if you’re curious as to who I think is curious.)

7. Unsubscribe to at least 5 news lists/discussion groups.

Done. I only belong to one and I only read it about once every 2 weeks. How’s that for progress?!?

8. Un-friend or stop following half of your political contacts on Facebook and Twitter—simply because they are contacts not friends.

Done. Friend count went down a lot. And I stopped friending people who were political in nature since that sucking, black hole vortex is consistently threatening to suck me back in. It's called boundaries.

9. Read a non-political book. Author’s that may not be read: Limbaugh, Beck, O’Reilly, Coulter, and Gingrich; books that have the words “Liberals,” “Are,” “Destroying,” “America” in the title may not be read either. Try a novel.

Read several actually, the most recent was “The Weight of Glory” by CS Lewis and “Arms Wide Open” by Patricia Harmon. It’s the story of a hippie midwife and her commune living days. Could this be any different then my political philosophy? I think not, but I really enjoyed her life story.

10. Get a hobby. Preferably one that includes at least one of the following: copious amounts of glue, tape, or fabric or Fantasy Football.

I now knit and I play fantasy football. Just a warning for my brother’s…last year was my warm up. I plan to bring my A game, so you guys better Watch. Your. Backs.

11. Do not, under any circumstances text former political contacts to “check in” and “see what’s going on.” They will suck you back in.

Only did it six times in the last 2 years and 4 months. That’s good right?

12. Write a book or movie about your experiences.

Maybe when I’m done learning Spanish. I have some prrrrety good ideas and stories that really should be shared. Of course, all identifiable features will be scrubbed…like my patient stories.

Whew! Feels good to check in with recovery. What about you? Anything in your life you need to recover from?